- 3 Tablespoons Peanut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 12 oz cans coconut milk
- 1 lb. boned and skinned chicken thighs, diced
- 6 fresh Makrut lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass (dry exterior and fibrous root end removed. Remaining stalk should be cut into 5 inch pieces)
- 2 Tablespoons palm or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Fish sauce
- ¼ cup asian basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/8 cup mint leaves, rough chop
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, rough chop
- ¼ cup Furikake, rice seasoning
- ¼ cup crispy shallots, we like Lars brand
To Taste, Sambal Chili Garlic Paste
Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil. Saute the shallots until they turn an opaque color. Add the ginger and half the curry paste. Stir the mixture for just a few moments. Add 1.5 cans of the coconut milk and bring to a slight boil.
Add the chicken, lime leaves and lemon grass. Return to a slight boil. Stir, reduce heat slightly and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Just before serving, remove the strips of lemongrass. Add the palm or brown sugar and fish sauce. To adjust the curry to your palette, add additional fish sauce, remaining coconut milk, sugar or curry paste to your liking. Serve over rice and garnish as you like.
Chef Tip: Mise en Place-Before starting the curry, be sure all your ingredients are prepped, in small cups or ramekins and ready to go. It makes the whole process so much more enjoyable.