My grandma Bee was a notoriously horrible cook but the two things she could always seem to make were these shortbread cookies and the butterscotch brownies from Joy of Cooking.
Grandma Bee’s Shortbread
- Makes 24
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- • Heat oven to 300º and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- • Stir all the ingredients together until smooth with a hand mixer or a wooden spoon.
- • Divide the dough into 4 balls. Place each ball on the prepared baking sheet and press down until they each form a 6in disc- they should be about 1/2 inch thick.
- • Use the tines of a fork to lightly score each disc into 6 wedges.
- • Bake until the edges are golden brown- about 30-40 minutes.
- • Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- • When cool gently break along fork marks into wedges
Variations: add finely chopped nuts- about 2 Tablespoons, add 1 teaspoon citrus zest, drizzle with melted chocolate after they have cooled.