Not all heroes wear capes and this hero is going straight to your belly … With cold weather on the horizon, for like, days, it’s time the perfect time to breakout your stockpot and get some Curried Lentil Chickpea Stew in hand.
- • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- • 1 large diced onion
- • 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- • 1 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- • 1 teaspoon cumin
- • 2 teaspoon curry powder
- • 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seed
- • 4 cups fat free chicken broth (or vegetable stock for a vegetarian twist!)
- • 2 cups water
- • 2 cups dry red lentils
- • 15 oz. canned chickpeas
- • 15 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- • 3 fresh cups baby spinach
- • 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- • 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook until softened, stirring frequently, 5-10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, salt, coriander, cumin, curry and mustard seeds; stir and cook, 1 minute.
Stir in broth, water and lentils; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes for still intact lentils (up to 20 minutes for more creamy lentils). Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, spinach and lime juice; heat through and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve garnished with cilantro.
To see more recipes click here.